"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bird is the word


I find it incredibly necessary for everyone to have a favorite word or phrase. I lean towards "goober" quite a bit or "jerkface." In the past I went on frenzies for "ubiquitous" and "maverick." For 2009 I will begin experimenting with words a tad more...shall we say...interesting. At the ashram my friend Arjun used the word "auspicious" almost seventeen times daily. Each time it made me giggle. It's a fantastic word and here's the definition according to dictionary.com:
Adjective
1. promising success; propitious; opportune; favorable: an auspicious occasion.
2. favored by fortune; prosperous; fortunate.
It's origin is Latin from "auspicium" meaning "divination by observing the flight of birds." In Greek history birds represent a connection to an omen. Eastern religions use the word frequently as in the eight auspicious symbols in Buddhism, the Chinese have auspicious numbers, and the Hindu God Shiva is considered the "Auspicious One."

May you and yours enjoy an auspicious 2009! And may I bring "auspicious" into style!

Today I'm grateful for waffles, being caught up, and getting over my flu.

No comments: