"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How hip is the script(ure)?

Now going on my second week at Yogaville (cringe, cringe) and I'm able to step back from working, and frantically remembering where I'm supposed to be when, and actually enjoy being here (which I believe has been the intent all along). Right now my favorite activity (haven't gotten into the chanting although that appears to be a favorite here behind meditating - go figure) is attending the scripture classes three times a week.

All the folks in my program (including myself) get together with a swami and discuss ancient, sacred texts and philosophies. It's like getting my philosophy minor all over again! Yesterday in class we discussed the Sutras and the concept of giving versus non-stealing. The swami mentioned in particular the story of St. Francis and how he gave to his community, it was a beautiful story and in his honor I am sharing the Prayer of Saint Francis (that and my brain is too peaceful to even come up with something bratty to make fun of - I did get up for the 6:20 meditation this morning and still have not woken up):

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Absolutely beautiful, isn't it? Yes, I thought so too.

Today I'm grateful for sweet potato pudding, hats for bad hair days, and wearing sweatpants all day, everyday I'm here.

No comments: