"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Love poem for love cake

I have two strong food loves in my life, one I've written about (the glorious cupcake, for those of you who don't regularly read) and lebkuchen (literally translated as "love/life cake"). It's my favorite import from Germany and I look forward to it every holiday season - or at least those seasons after I knew it existed).

So, here it goes...not my best, but will have to do.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee for your depth, gingerbreadth and every bite;
My soul can eat, when feelings of delight;
For the ends of all seeing and impossible to replace.
I love thee to eat at everyday's Grace.
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as in sneaking around at night;
I love thee purely, as you keep me in a daze.
I love thee with a passion that I abuse;
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I cannot lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with your gingerbreath, icing, and of all my adult life! --- and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after cutting you with a knife.

(original poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, adapted by Becky Farrar for lebkuchen)

Today I'm grateful for brunch with Mom and Dad, clean rooms, and being caught up.


No comments: