"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Precious" moments


Yesterday I saw the movie "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire," and I expected to be disturbed and touched - not disturbed, sobbing, and touched. One of the wonderful things about my job working for the festival is getting to see films that will play during the festival. I was really excited to see "Precious," it has been the first film to win audience awards at Sundance and Toronto Film Festivals. Most importantly it's playing at this year's Starz Denver Film Festival as the Opening Night film...and what an eye "opener" it is!

This film reminded me of the importance of not judging until you've walked a mile (or at least 17 in Precious' case) in someone else's shoes. It really pushed my comfort level with how incredibly awful and seemly hopeless a situation can be - in those moments someone's own inner truth is far more "precious" than money, health, or education.

Today I'm grateful for snow, baked apples, and hide and seek with Taz.

No comments: