"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hallow Saints Souls Dead Day


This has certainly been a very auspicious weekend (I hardly ever get to use that word and I love it)...Halloween (with Daylight Savings Time extra hour to party), All Saints Day, and the Day of the Dead with a full moon. Saturday I enjoyed Halloween like any good Trekkie does...with fellow crew members (aka Hayley and Nick). We went to scary - that would be an understatement, very scary - haunted house appropriately titled City of the Dead. I was even chased by a creepy guy with an axe, serves me right for trying to be cute by winking and waving...

What I enjoyed most was how different this was from other Halloweens, I really enjoyed the holiday instead of getting caught up in what I thought I "should" be doing (e.g. dressing provocatively and going to numerous parties or bars). Instead, after the City of the Dead we ate pizza and I got a cupcake (needed treats you know) at City O City where I ran into my neighbors.

Today, Sunday, is All Saints Day, which is also a part of the early Pagan tradition Feast of the Lemures - a time rid of malevolent spirits. Not quite sure how I will celebrate besides maybe read the Saint Francis of Assis prayer a few times and meditate. Oh and eat pumpkin pancakes with my parents at Le Peep - an option for all holidays.

Tomorrow is the Mexican holiday Day of the Dead and Christian holiday All Souls' Day. According to Wikipedia, "Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts. Scholars trace the origins of the modern holiday to indigenous observances dating back thousands of years, and to an Aztec festival dedicated to a goddess called Mictecacihuatl.

Similar holidays are celebrated in many parts of the world; for example, it's a public holiday (Dia de Finados) in Brazil, where many Brazilians celebrate by visiting cemeteries and churches. In Spain, there are festivals and parades, and at the end of the day, people gather at cemeteries and pray for their loved ones who have died. Similar observances occur elsewhere in Europe and in the Philippines, and similarly-themed celebrations appear in many Asian and African cultures."

So there you have it, four holidays and a full moon.

Today I'm grateful for Star Trek, pancakes (had to see that one coming), and the radio.

No comments: