"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Return of Saturn


For the first time in a long time this phase of constant confusion I've been a part of for the past year or so feels as if it's slowly getting clarity. I have my Saturn Return to thank, which I only recently knew what it was thanks a Vedic astrology. Every 28 to 30 years a major astrological shift occurs in lives - mine happened to arrive early. It's the shifting of the phase of youth into maturity (think Britney Spears "Not Yet a Woman"). Mine began last year, during my Saturn return I left my job, lost several important relationships in my life, moved to an ashram, moved to Denver, started new jobs, and in general really began exploring who I am and where I am on this journey.

It's a time of moving forward, sometimes with a lot of turmoil. Saturn, the planet of Karma, shows us the things in our life that aren't working and ends them for us to emerge forward stronger and wiser. It's when you assume the most important responsibility of all - the responsibility for your life. Even my favorite hippie sheek Drew Barrymore talked about it on David Letterman a few years ago, which naturally gives it total street cred.

Whether or not you believe in astrology, there's no hiding major shifts happen around this time in life. Just when we start to think our early twenties were adventurous, then the real stuff starts in our late twenties. Divorces and babies peak between 28 and 30 - there's a restructuring of our desires. Some great spiritual teachers didn't become so until 27 or 30, which was the case with Siddartha, Eckhart Tolle, and even Swami Satchidananda.
My Saturn Return ends tomorrow, Dec. 8, 2009 I couldn't be more excited to become the woman I'm meant to be. Thank you Saturn, and your return!

Today I'm grateful for Saturn, snow, and gingerbread houses.

No comments: