"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Going to the gym

At first glance this post topic may appear to be a simple one, I assure you this is not the case in San Francisco (sorry, I'm finally even annoying myself with calling it "Man Francisco"). My 24 Hour Fitness is approximately .8 miles from my apartment, about a 15-20 minute walk - uphill. Mind you once I arrive at this .8 mile destination I must then climb six flights of stairs to get to the gym. Let's recap...uphill almost a mile and then flights of stairs. If I am running a few minutes late for say a Turbo Kick class I am then running uphill and running of stairs - just that alone is enough to work up a sweat.

Which leads me to another point about the gym going experience in San Francisco - sweating. For those of us who lived in the dry desert of Colorado for quite some time this is not something that occurs very easily. Any moisture my body possesses was sucked out of my body upon arriving here. I drank almost a gallon of water a day just to stay hydrated, not to eventually sweat out. My dilemna in SF is humidity makes me think I'm working out harder than I actually am. In all actuality I may not be tired after going up hill and running up stairs, but I wouldn't know it because I have broken a sweat, which didn't use to happen. Until I moved here and began going to the gym.

Today I'm grateful for Across the Universe, free underwear, and inspiration.

2 comments:

Beagle said...

As an avid 14'er hiker who uses the Incline as a workout are you expecting sympathy from me for having to run 8 tenths of a mile uphill?

If you haven't seen Alice in Wonderland, do. It is fabulous. BTW, Mary Webb is about to be hired by 24 Hour Fitness as an instructor

Supergenus said...

how do I get free underwear?