"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Inspiration station

What does it mean to be inspired? Or in the flow? Or on fire? Or in the zone? Inspiration comes from the Latin root – "in spirit." Um, no surprises there. I have begun to really think about my life and being inspired. Or being inspired by life. Which begs the question...What inspires me? When I look around I begin to see that everything has the potential to create inspiration. Last week in another attempt to put off getting some reading done for school  I sat under a tree and stared at its branches for an hour, possibly two. I stopped keeping track of time. In my former life as a workaholic mad woman I could hardly imagine taking this sort of time for nothing, but living "in spirit" time doesn’t seem to exist. Inspiration tends to come to me instead during "times" of solitude.

I realized I forgot what life was with inspiration, and it's an entirely new world. Inspiration comes unexpectedly and has many forms. It's in anything and everything - a butterfly, a kind word, a great song, a phone call, and even a person. Inspiring others is one of the greatest gifts we can give. After all, we can't inspire others without getting a little inspiration on ourselves. All in all it contains this planet, this life, and this love (I'm only partially attempting to sound like a Bob Marley song here). A life without inspiration becomes dull. The trees have no life, the birds sing and no one notices.

I'm committed to a life of inspiration. One of waking up in the morning knowing I'm here to do something important. Of following where ever spirit/universe/source/(insert your word here) guides me to make a difference. Turns out inspiration for me is simply living "in spirit." The only true desire we have to be inspired by.

Today I'm grateful for song lyrics, free meals, and Teccino.

No comments: