"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Soft IntenSati

I'm constantly  looking for new additions to my workouts to keep them fresh. This morning I tried IntenSati, clever word play with "intensity" in case you didn't catch that, and loved it! I met the instructor, Eileen McCarthy, at the balcony overlooking the ocean just north of the Sutro Baths. A heavenly place to workout and even saw a porpoise playing in the waves while I was working up a sweat. The SatiLife Web site describes IntenSati as:
"IntenSati is a revolutionary workout fusing high-energy aerobics, martial arts, dance, yoga, and strength conditioning. Combining spoken affirmations with simple choreography, intenSati provides a heart-pumping, exhilarating workout that builds physical, mental, and spiritual muscle.

Courage, confidence, willpower, enthusiasm, self-respect, and a strong, healthy body are all results of this powerful practice. The goal of intenSati is to enable a seamless and total integration of body and mind, allowing you to be and experience all you deeply want... right NOW!"
 
I would describe it as calisthenics with affirmations and pure bliss. It is downright impossible not to smile during this workout. Looking out at the ocean, screaming things such as, "So above is below and now I know," and jumping around to sitar songs all contributed to this bliss. For several moments I became entirely aware of the fact that after only living in California for six months I have become a softy. In the famous (or famous at least in some circles) Baz Luhrmann song says, "Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft." Too late, and this softy has one hard body to show for it.
 
Today I'm grateful for my boss, my coworkers, and Bhangra.


No comments: