"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Label-whore hippie aka fashionable flowerchild tendencies

I've recently become aware of the fact that I have many hippie tendencies. Some use the term "lipstick hippie," to describe a modern-day, fashionable flower child. The funny thing is I don't wear lipstick so this term is difficult for me to own up to, so I have created my own term to relate to: "fashionable flowerchild" or "label-whore hippie" would work as well. The only incredibly stereotypical girlie thing I came up with is that I shop, hence I must have fashionable flowerchild tendencies.

Yes, my parents have often discussed their hippie tendencies during the 1970s, but I haven't really thought about how it has impacted my values. Apparently the proof is there and it's about time I just own up to it, my hippieness has become glaringly obvious the past several months...
Hippie tendency #1: Large quantity of my purchases involve t-shirts with saying such as "Green is sexy" and "Arms are for hugging."
Hippie tendency #2: I don't shower on Sundays to save water and to be honest, I just get plain sick of them.
Hippie tendency #3: My compost pile and recycling efforts might possible by my greatest pride and joy, besides my great mpg in my Maxima.
Hippie tendency #4: I am more excited for Earth Day than my birthday! (okay, that one may be an exaggeration, I think Earth Day could quite possibly be considered a gift to me from the government.)
Hippie tendency #5: I own five pairs of Birkenstocks, enough said.
Hippie tendency #6: I was vegetarian for three weeks, and then I fainted, so now I eat only fish and poultry (organic of course).
Hippie tendency #7: I have reusable canvas bags to three of the major grocery store chains.
Hippie tendency #8: I believe love IS the answer (thank you Blessid Union of Soul for bringing this phrase back into my life) to everything, including war.
Hippie tendency #9: I can honestly say I have hugged a tree, and it's my favorite tree (everyone should have one) and I visit it often. And no, I won't tell you where it is, and you can't watch. ;)
Hippie tendency #10: Eastern philosophy to a large extent guides my daily choices and spiritual practices. (Um, can we say philosophy minor in college for a semester before changing it for the 32nd time?)

Today I am grateful for loving friends, cable TV, and dark chocolate Toblerones.

1 comment:

Poppy said...

you forgot the fact that you have a blog called love, joy, vitality. dirty hippie. :)

then again, you own way too much burberry (as in any at all) to qualify. thank you for continuing to be a wonderful contradication...