"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The fountain of knowledge - for drinking




Today while I was drinking my morning tea I happen to pick up my UNC mug and realized that this weekend it will be four years since I graduated from college. Yes, FOUR YEARS. My, my how time flies, and things change. Seems like just yesterday I was doing tequila shots at the Armory the day before graduation...the entire day is still perfectly etched in my brain (notice I didn't say night). Woke up to beautiful 80 degree weather, put on my cap and gown, met my family and grandparents before the ceremony, received a really big award from the school for my involvement, and spent the day attending BBQs and taking pictures. (Okay, brag insert - the award I got, which I'm still really proud of, was give to only two people out of my graduating class of about 3,000 students.)

Back then if you would have asked me what my life would be like four years after graduation I would have told you I was in the Peace Corps, living in Cannes again, or splitting my time between Denver and London for my relationship with Hugh Grant (I'm still an idealist). While my life has turned out very differently from how I imagined, the post-college years have been some of the most educational of my life. People always say college is the best time of your life. But the best time for what? Yes, it's a great time to study abroad, drink heavily, and dance on tables. But a good time to challenge yourself and discover who you want to be? I think not, too many distractions.

That's what is so interesting (notice, I didn't say "fun") about life after college - no distractions. Suddenly you really have to face everything after being completely distracted for several years with no responsibilities. You have to face who you are, what you really want, and who you want to be. Life since college has certainly had some difficult times where I longed for the comfort of the sorority house and beer pong night - a broken heart, job searches, living in my parents basement...the list goes on. Then I have to give myself some credit for all the life-changing things that have happened over the years: I have a really great job that pays me well and gives me amazing opportunities, my own office, I lived alone for the first time, been in a few weddings, and even won money in Vegas! =) My college experience was everything I could have hoped for and more. I didn't think it was possible to top the carefree, fun college life, but somehow I did...and I can't wait to see what's next.

Today I'm grateful for the Office, red high heels, and my ability at being independent.

No comments: