"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

F-word...feminist

One of the last nights of my trip I watched Hilary Clinton's speech about leaving the presidential campaign. I haven't been that inspired by a politian in a really long time. I used to think I was fond of her simply because she was a woman in politics who played like a man. Recently I realized I am fond of her simply because she is so idealistic (which I admit is what keeps me a Democrat). She talked about it someday not being remarkable for a woman to run for president, gay rights, and universal health care - it brought me to tears (not that it takes considerably a lot).

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the "f-word," FEMINIST. It seems to be considered somewhat of an insult these days and I can't figure out why. What is wrong with being a feminist? When did it become a bad word? (For the record, feminazi is a derogatory term and comparing someone to a nazi is very poor taste.) The word seems to describe bra burning, hairy legs and armpits, and man-haters. But I don't have any of these characteristics (okay, at least most of the time), and I consider myself a feminist. The definition I learned just means someone who believes in equality of the sexes. Who wouldn't want that?

What is a feminist, or in this case, a modern feminist? Is she someone who is anti-abortion or pro-choice? Is she a stay at home mom or a businesswoman? Is she more like Charlotte or Miranda? Does she wear a wedding ring or a right-hand ring (by the way, mine would be two carots if it were real diamonds)?=) I think she can be both, and anything.

I think a feminist is anyone, men included, who believes women can truly have and become whatever they desire. It is making your own choices for your own life, regardless of what others believe you should do.

I remember several years ago driving home from college with all my things several days after graduation at 3 a.m. listening to a DJ on the radio talk about how the U.S. would never have a woman president. It broke my heart. The only time in my life I called into the station and told him I hoped he never had a daughter or children for that matter (yes, I was a tad harsh) because I hated to see the cycle of such ignorance be repeated. He called me a bitch and hung up the phone.

I can't imagine having a parent who didn't believe I could do and be whatever I wanted to be. I admit I haven't done everything in my power to be the most incredible person to grace the planet, but I know I'm capable of anything I set my mind to. If that makes me a feminist...I'll claim it!

My hope for the United States to have a female in the most powerful position doesn't feel as far away as it used to and for that matter - I may decide to continue living here...as long as a Democrat gets elected next. ;)

Today I'm grateful for my parents, Landmark Education, my salary.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

I couldnt have said it better myself!

Bettina said...

This article is an oldie but a goodie.

BEcky Farrar said...

Thanks Redhead Hope! I'm glad we share the same opinions...thanks for showing me this Web site!