"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Thursday, July 24, 2008

No strings attached



In the wise words of Pinocchio (yes, Pinocchio), I've got no strings! Pay particularly close attention to the line "hi-ho the me-ri-o," there's a lot of good stuff there. ;)

I've got no strings
To hold me down
To make me fret, or make me frown
I had strings
But now I'm free
There are no strings on me

Hi-ho the me-ri-o
That's the only way to go
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me

Hi-ho the me-ri-o
I'm as happy as can be
I want the world to know
Nothing ever worries me

I've got no strings
So I have fun
I'm not tied up to anyone
They've got strings
But you can see
There are no strings on me



I woke up singing Pinocchio this morning it was one of the most odd things in my entire life, ever (and I know odd things). It literally felt like I was in a Disney movie. Somehow my hair looked great, my dark circles had disappeared (they were courtesy of Mile High Music Festival) and I sounded great (like normal of course, only I had more energy in my voice instead of being scratchy) ! After singing everything I could remember I got off the side of my bed and floated into the bathroom (I swear my cats were also dancing, but I don't remember if that was in my dream).


I haven't even thought of Pinocchio in ages and I don't even know if that is the correct spelling of his name because I'm so unfamiliar with that particular Disney movie. Several years ago when I went through my Miss America phase and competed in several pageants (I received 2nd runner up in a Miss Colorado preliminary, thank you very much) I sang "When You Wish Upon a Star." Seemed cheesy enough at the time, but now I wonder if singing "I've Got No Strings" would have taken it to the next level...

Indeed, having no strings feels rather wonderful, as of several days ago I'm no longer dating anyone ("I'm not tied up to anyone!") and as of several weeks ahead I will no longer have a job ("So I have fun!"). If Pinocchio is up for that kind of freedom, then I guess so am I. Although I'm not so sure how I feel about the whole "Nothing ever worries me" line...is that possible?
Today I'm grateful for my wonderful office mates, fresh-squeezed juices, and family reunions.

No comments: