"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I "tri"ed

This weekend I did my first triathlon (sprint one, not ironman - don't be too impressed). All in all it was a stupendous time, although any excuse not to wear a ton of clothes usually is. Adrenaline and heat were intense. Other than that, just an ordinary swim, bike, run...with 3,000 other people.

By far the highlights of the event were my falls - not once, but twice. I realize it takes quite a bit of talent to do it twice in the same event. I would like to thank my ill-equipped hybrid bike and my lame-o long shoelaces, and I also acknowledgeI am the cause of my stumbles and falls (just like always).
It was quite embaressing and took everything I had to stand up again, both times. Worst part was I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but I couldn't cry! You can't cry during a triathlon! (I believe that is rule 543.) So I got up and continued as if nothing happened whilest my knees, hands and ego bruised and bled.

All the while I kept thinking of the Confucious quote, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall." (Seriously though, who doesn't think about ancient Chinese philosophers during long bike rides?)

In the end my time wasn't so great, but I finished in one piece (minus several large chunks of skin of course). I had no idea what to expect, or how I would do and in the end...but I at least I "tri"ed...and in this case rocked!

Today I'm grateful for bandaids, Bactine, and my bike.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

AMAZING! I'd like to do one, too! Congrats!

kymmcs said...

Congratulations! And may I suggest hiring someone to follow you around all the time to catch you when you fall? That's what I'm going to do, as it is a common occurrence with me too.