"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Saturday, August 16, 2008

My journey begins today

And tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. Friday was my last day at my job and it was a mixture of emotion of excitement, sadness, and confusion (as is this post). At my Starbucks run I bought a mug on sale that says "My journey begins today." (How appropriate, and reaffirming that Starbucks does love me.)

Life seems to go in three or four year phases and my desire for change seems to follow that pattern. After four years of security with a job I enjoyed and great people work with I'm embarking on my first (of many) adventures. I feel the same way I did after college...there are so many different paths I can take and having so much freedom can feel really overwhelming. Literally I can do anything, so what do I choose?

I was really touched by how many people bought me gifts, said goodbye and left me with kind words. I want to look and move forward, but also want to acknowledge the past and grieve the change. No matter how much things change in my life I'm realizing how important it is for me to allow myself a grieving process, even if I don't want to deal with it. Leaving a job working with people I really care about is no different.

But each time I get scared or confused I remind myself that everyday begins a new journey, not just after a big change. Each journey and experience leads me exactly where I need to be.

Today I'm grateful for my sister's baking, Olympics, and love.

No comments: