"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Greek geek



For as long as I can remember I've had a "thing" for all things Greek. I adore baklava, gyro meat, Neo-classical architecture, philosophy, and even went Greek in college by joining Delta Zeta (heck, I adore toga parties!). How fitting I now live in a state with a Greek goddess on its state seal (California and Athena in case you were wondering). When I was younger I was enthralled by Greek mythology and used to reread my book of myths over and over again. It has been a while since I visited Greece, and I can still appreciate being awestruck by Crete and statues of Greek goddesses. Their desire for knowledge and truth resonates much with my own.

All of the wonderment about Greek history has come to a head with one of my classes. We've been delving into Greek philosophers and I have fallen head over Greek sandals for Plato's cosmology theories. His book Timaeus describes them in detail and I cannot do it justice. One thing of particular note is his concept of the us being created with a twin soul in a star (this is VERY simplified). While we certainly don't have a lot in common (besides each having a twin star) - I seem to have somehow developed a crush on Mr. Plato (yes, creepy, I know).
Today I'm grateful for Karla's visit, my mom's visit, and calls with Hayley before grocery shopping.

2 comments:

kymmcs said...

I want to go to grad school again. What are you going for???

manpret kapor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.