"The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." - Stephen Nachmanovitch

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whole different animal


I realize this is Frontier's slogan (how fitting the airline that got me into this mess as in flew me out here to look at apartments) it describes how I feel about grad school. Ahem, excuse me "graduate school." My third week of graduate school comes to a close as of today. I feel like an idiot. I don't know what I was expecting it to be like. Somehow making me feel like an utter and complete moron wasn't what I had in mind. My classmates are brilliant, not just smart. Half of them could teach the classes and the other half are so smart they aren't able to have conversations.

One of my classes has required reading of, on average, 400 pages for week and "recommended reading" of about 200. This post may as well serve as a farewell to my leisurely reading activitites and hello to highlighters and a good reading lamp. While I don't feel quite like I have been fed to the lions, I'm unsure what to make of this new species called graduate school. I'm frightened of it and also excited to see it uncaged.

Today I'm grateful for student loans, warm soup, and possibly a used microwave!

2 comments:

Artemis said...

Hey Becky, I'm in your Archetypal Cosmology class, and laughed out loud at the characterization of the level of geekdom at PCC. You're very generous in your deduction of why some of us aren't able to have conversations ;-) Don't worry, you'll pick up a lot just by osmosis (I'll use Rupert Sheldrake's "morphic fields" theory as my causal grounds, 'cuz he's so popular with so many of us). See you Thursday!

namaste, Artemis

manpret kapor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.